Sunday, 12 February 2017

What Is It All For?




As I sit, surrounded by notes and folders and essay questions and pens and paper, I think to myself; why am I doing all of this?

I've always been driven. It's a quality of mine which I take pride in. I've always been told my ambition is something I should take great credit from. I do. 

However, A-levels have introduced me to a life where there does not seem to be a balance. Yes, I go out with friends and enjoy time with loved ones, but this is heavily outweighed by writing essay upon essay, and making flashcards for the folders which are already bulging. 

So I ask myself, why am I doing all of this?

I feel passionate towards my subjects. I've always loved English, had an interest in History, a passion for Politics and a deep-routed admiration for Drama. However, I find myself so drained from work with no real goal. The only goal I really have is to be successful, to make the most of what I've been given in life. Is that enough?

I've never been the person who knows exactly what they want to do with their life. I've always loved writing and playing characters on stage, but the question of turning either into a career scares me. 

I know people who have exactly what they want to do in their mind, and are therefore working to achieve that goal. Some want to be an actress, a doctor and even an engineer. 

Perhaps it's good not to know exactly what you want to do. All I know is that I need to work hard, so I don't build boundaries that will limit my future.

So that is what I'll do. 

Do you know what you want to do with your future? Do you ever wonder what you're working for?

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for for this!! I feel the exact same way. I am passionate in school and I love learning but my goals just seems to succeed but then for all of my passions outside of school I almost don't feel like they could be a career. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people ask me what I want to do with my life because I have basically no idea. Lovely post. :)

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Nabila, I'm glad you can relate! Thank you so much. :)

      ~Lauren x

      Delete
  2. You would make an awesome author! I've read your writing and you would become a successful novelist.
    I want to be a professional violinist. It takes a lot of sacrifice-over 2 hours of practising a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much. Wow that's a lot of practice, I play piano and I understand the commitment it takes to learn a musical instrument. Thank you for commenting!

      ~Lauren x

      Delete
  3. I think you would make an incredible author:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Grace, that means so much to me <3

      ~Lauren x

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I know what you mean. I've never been one to have my life planned - vague ideas yes, but nothing definite. So yes, I've asked those questions.. It can be frustrating.

    This though:The only goal I really have is to be successful, to make the most of what I've been given in life. That's a wonderful goal! And I think truly, that's all we can do: make the most of what's in front of us. And it's when we do that, new opportunities come up. Keep pressing on, girl! But also, don't forget that your worth is not found in your grades, or your career choice. You are so much more than that. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a lovely comment that brought a smile to my face; thank you so much Jessica!

      You are so right, if we strive to be successful we are doing the best we can; our grades do not define us.

      Thank you so much for commenting!

      ~Lauren x

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this-so true! I for one have all these hobbies I dabble in, but nothing I could actually make a living with, or so I think. I love your blog! Thanks for checking mine out!
    <3 Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can relate, Mira! No problem at all.

      ~Lauren x

      Delete
  6. hahaha yes. I identify with this post (and even what others wrote in the comments) a lot.
    life is always changing. and I often ask myself, what is all this for. but learning to enjoy THIS while working towards tomorrow, that is the goal.

    Randy Abby
    WAKE ME UP Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Randy Abby, you are definitely right. The present is what matters most and thus we should treat it that way!

      ~Lauren x

      Delete